Since I often talk about the beauty of baking “from scratch,” I guess I’ll have to “eat crow” here! This is one thing I shortcut on, as puff pastry is time consuming, and tricky to make for the novice. So please forgive my momentary lapse…it will save you a lot of time and frustration! OR, just use your favourite pie dough and forego the puff; though for my taste-buds, I do prefer the puff pastry. I think you will, too.
INGREDIENTS for SHELL:
1 14 oz. box Tenderflake frozen puff pastry (follow directions for thawing on box)
PUFF CRAB APPIE FILLING:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
24 oz. real or imitation crab meat, minced
4 T. mayonnaise
4 T. parmesan cheese
½ C. cheddar, grated
½ C. grated mozzarella, grated
5 T. whole milk
2 T. green onion, finely chopped
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. paprika
Organic dried parsley (for topping)
1. While frozen puff pastry is thawing (usually 2 hours at room temp.) mix together in large bowl all of the filling ingredients in order listed, blending well after each addition, except for the dried parsley.
2. Cut off small pieces of pastry dough and press into 24 2” butter tart, or equivalent, fluted molds.
3. Fill pastry with teaspoon, mounding slightly.
4. Sprinkle with finely crushed parsley.
5. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375 F. for 15 minutes, or until filling puffs up a bit and pastry is golden brown.
6. Remove from oven, let stand for 5 or 10 minutes; remove from molds…see if you can eat JUST ONE! Enjoy!