Key Lime Cheesecake
The holidays offer a wonderful opportunity to introduce your family to unique and seductive dishes. So, why not seduce your loved ones with a healthy yet lovely treat that no one will say “no” to? With its looks of a real cheesecake, this non-dairy raw version does just that. It might even provoke conversation that triggers your family’s curiosity in raw food.
PREP IN ADVANCE
Soak 2 C of raw cashew nuts for 4 hours
Make this pie a day ahead so it can become firm while chilling.
A blender or a coffee mill
A food processor
A spring form of 6 inches
FOR THE CRUST
• 1 ¾ C of almond flour (blend dry almonds shortly into flour)
• 4 to 6 Medjool dates (depending on how moist they are)
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• Mix the almond flour with the dates and sea salt in a food processor into a fine, sticky consistency.
• Test by pressing a bit of the crust between thumb and finger: it is ready when the flour sticks together.
• Place the sticky flour in the spring form and press firmly until you have a solid crust.
FOR THE FILLING
• 5 TBSP coconut oil (melt in a double boiler or “au bain marie”)
• 1 TBSP melted coconut butter (optional, for a deeper flavor)
• 2 ½ C cashews (soaked in spring water for 4 hours)
• 5 TBSP light agave (so you can keep a light “cheese” color)
• Juice of 3 freshly squeezed limes (to taste)
• 1 TBSP of grated lime zest
• ¼ C of spring water
• Line the bottom of the spring form with plastic foil to remove the filling easier later on.
• Blend all ingredients (except for the coconut oil) until very smooth.
• Add the coconut oil at low speed and blend well.
• Pour the filling on top of the curst in the spring form.
• Let sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight.
• Grate some lime zest on top before serving.
• Only use organic lime for zest!
• If you don’t like coconut, you can replace half the amount by Psyllium husk or Irish Moss
• Add more lime juice if you prefer a stronger lime taste and add a bit less water
• Very nice and light with the meat of one fresh young Thai coconut
• Double or triple the amount if you want a big cheese cake
For more raw recipes, visit Marie-Claire Hermans, Author and Ravishing Raw Coach & Chef, visit online at www.ravishingraw.com.
Marie-Claire started “Ravishing Raw” after curing herself from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, with raw food. As a raw food coach, she specializes in offering professional help to those who are suffering from similar debilitating conditions. Along with her expertise in jazz music management and booking work, she helps world class artists – challenged by their demanding lifestyle – find solutions to improve their health.