Many people use a wok to do this type of recipe, but I use a good old fashioned cast iron skillet, and it works just as well.
3 or 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, in 1” pieces
2 sweet red peppers, sliced lengthwise
1 green pepper, in 1” pieces
1 orange pepper, sliced lengthwise
2 C broccoli florets
2 C sliced meadow mushrooms
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1 or 2 T. real butter
salt* and pepper, paprika, to taste
¼ C sliced almonds (optional)
1. Cut peppers, onion and broccoli florets into a bowl, set aside.
2. Slice mushrooms into a separate bowl, set aside
3. Put a couple of tablespoons olive oil in skillet; heat to “moving oil” but not smoking! 4. Carefully add chicken pieces and fry, stirring occasionally until they are tender and well cooked. I cover between stirrings. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan with slotted spoon, put into another bowl, cover and set aside.
5. Add a little more oil if needed to stir-fry onion, peppers, and broccoli all at once; remove from pan back into their bowl.
6. Add the 1 or 2 T. of butter to skillet; make sure it is back to high heat, add mushrooms and stir-fry until tender and slightly golden…jus t a few minutes.
7. Return chicken and vegetables to skillet with mushrooms; sprinkle with salt*, pepper and paprika; toss around and add some sliced almonds if desired.
*sea salt or veggie salt works equally well.