Natural Cleaning Tips: Vinegar as a disinfectant?
According to a Good Housekeeping Institute study, as reported on 48 hours (on CBS) in 2000, “A straight 5% solution of vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold and 80 percent of viruses.”
Eliminate Unpleasant Odors:
- To stop unpleasant cooking odors from permeating throughout the entire house, boil a cup or two of vinegar in a pot in the stove. The vinegar will absorb the odors.
- When cooking cabbage, add a few drops of vinegar to prevent the unpleasant odors in the first place.
Clean, Sparkly Bathrooms:
- Clean sink and tub with full-strength vinegar. Simply apply with a sponge, wipe clean to a sparkly shine.
- Clean your ceramic tiles with a solution of ¼ cup vinegar to one-gallon warm water. If the grout between your tiles is looking dirty, dip a toothbrush in full strength vinegar and gently scrub.
- Get rid of that nasty, grimy dirt that builds up around the faucets by soaking paper towels in full strength vinegar and wrapping them around the fixtures. Let sit for one hour, and then clean as usual.
- Soap scum & hard water spots on the tub and shower stall? Soak a sponge in full strength vinegar, wipe, let stand for five minutes then rinse with clean water. Water spots on sliding shower doors disappear after cleaning with half water and half vinegar solution.
For more info, contact Laura Mederos at WOW Cleaning Services at (775) 322-4787 or visit online at www.wowcleaningreno.com.